Man Hoi LOK, Thomas
Assistant Dean (Student Affairs)
Academic Qualifications |
Working Experience |
Award and Honor |
Selected Publications |
Professional Affiliations |
- Ph.D., 1999, University of California, Berkeley
- M.S., 1987, Carnegie-Mellon University
- B.S., 1985, National Taiwan University
- Consulting engineer, Sinotech Engineering Consultants, Taipei, July 1990 - May 1993
- Engineer, Macao Water Supply Company, Macao, January 1988 - February 1990
Award and Honor
My favourite Teacher Award by the Student Association of Faulty of Science and Technology, 2003
- Soil Mechanics (CEEB313)
- Advanced Topics in Soil Mechanics (CEEB351)
- Earth Retaining Systems (CEEB456)
- Advanced Soil Mechanics (CIEE704)
- Special Topics in Geotechnical Engineering (CIEE709)
- Numerical Modeling in Geomechanics (CIEE714)
- Xie, Yidong (2014) "DEM analysis of ultimate lateral resistance to rigid short piles in granular material," M.S. Thesis, University of Macau.
- Wang, Dong (2012) "Investigation of Laterally Loaded Pile in Sands using DEM," M.S. Thesis, University of Macau.
- Zhou, Jianmei (2010) "Effect of Nonlinear Soil Behavior for Ground Response at Macau," M.S. Thesis, University of Macau.
- Ho, S.M. (2010) "Numerical Modeling of Consolidation of Marine Clay under Vacuum Preloading Incorporating Prefabricated Vertical Drains," M.S. Thesis, University of Macau.
- Ng, C.H. (2009) "Comparative Study of Soil Constitutive Models on Simulation of a Diaphragm Walled Excavation in Macao Alluvium," M.S. Thesis, University of Macau.
- Thanat, S.T. (2009) "In-situ Shear Wave Measurement and Ground Response Analysis for Developing Site-dependent Response Spectra in Macau," M.S. Thesis, University of Macau.
- Sein, Y.H. (2009) "Study of Geofiber with Modified Direct Shear Apparatus," M.S. Thesis, University of Macau.
- Shi, X. (2008) "Experimental investigation on the consolidation and very small-strain stiffness properties of Macau marine clay," M.S. Thesis, University of Macau.
- Hao, G. (2008) "Laboratory study of shear wave velocity and small strain modulus of Macao marine clay under anisotropic stress condition," M.S. Thesis, University of Macau.
- Tou, C.M. (2008) "Numerical Simulation of Foundations on Soil with Single Reinforcement," M.S. Thesis, University of Macau.
- Ao, P.K. (2007) "Modification of the Hiley Formula by Considering Pile Length," Ph.D. Thesis, University of Macau. (co-supervisor)
- Yu, H.J. (2006) "Laboratory Study on the Mechanical Behavior of Tire Chip-Sand Mixtures," M.S. Thesis, University of Macau.
- Choi, W.K. (2005) "Characterization of Alkali Silica Reactivity of Xi Jiang River Sand," M.S. Thesis, University of Macau
- Che, W.F. (2003) "Axial Bearing Capacity Prediction of Driven Piles using Artificial Neural Network," M.S. Thesis, University of Macau.
- Sam, W.N. (2003) "Numerical Modeling of Embankment of Soft Marine Clay Stabilized by Vertical Drains," M.S. Thesis, University of Macau.
Recent Research Projects
- Soil Structure Interaction of pile foundations and retaining structures
- FEM / DEM applications in geomechanics
- Consolidation and shear behavior of Marine clay
- Geotechnical seismic analysis
- Site-Dependent Response Spectra and Seismic Design Recommendations for Macau, , Principal Investigator, funded by FDCT 1,600,000MOP (2006-2008)
- Study on Tire Chips as Lightweight Backfills, Co-investigator, funded by IACM and CERT, 48,000MOP (2004-2005)
- Consolidation and strength Properties of Macau Marine Clay, Principal Investigator, funded by UM, 136,000MOP (2006-2008)
- Study on the time-dependent stress-strain behavior of Macao marine clay, Principal Investigator, funded by UM, 178,000MOP (2012-2014)
- Investigation of soil resistance to rigid embedment using DEM, Principal Investigator, funded by UM, 280,400MOP (2010-2011)
- Numerical investigation of penetration problem in granular soils, Principal Investigator, funded by UM, 160,000MOP (2013-2014)
- Lok, T.M.H., Lee, H.Y., and Ng, I.T. (2014) “Suggestions and Analysis on Correlations for Shear Wave Velocity of Macau Soils,” South China Journal of Seismology, Vol. 34(3), Sep., 2014.
- Mei, G.-X., Lok, T.M.H., Xia, J., and Wu, S.S. (2014) “One-dimensional consolidation with asymmetrical exponential drainage boundary,” Geomechanics and Engineering, Vol. 6, No. 1.
- Cheong, K.K., Lok, T.M.H., Thanat, S.T., Hao, G., Shi, X. (2008) “Measurements of Seismic Wave Velocities of Strata at Macau SAR,” South China Journal of Seismology, Vol. 28(2) June, 2008.
- Xie, Y. and Lok, T.M.H. (2015) "DEM analysis of ultimate lateral resistance to rigid short piles in sand," TC105 Special Session, 15ARC on Soil Mechanics and Geo. Engrg., Fukuoka, Japan, 9-13/11/2015.
- Lok, T.M.H., Shi, X., and Wu, S. (2015) "Variation of shear wave velocity of Macao marine clay during secondary consolidation," 15ARC on Soil Mechanics and Geo. Engrg., Fukuoka, Japan, 9-13/11/2015.
- Lok, T.M.H., Wang, D., and Xie, Y.D. (2013) "Boundary effects on DEM simulation of installation and lateral movement of piles," Proc., the 3rd International FLAC/DEM Symposium, Hangzhou, October 22-24, 2013.
- Lok, T.M.H., Lee, H.Y., and Lou, W.I. (2013) " A Preliminary assessment on Liquefaction Potential of Reclaimed Lands in Macao," 18th Southeast Asian Geotechnical & Inaugural AGSSEA Conference, 29 - 31 May 2013, Singapore.
- Ng, C.H., and Lok, T.M.H. (2011) "Comparative Simulation of an Excavation in Macao Alluvium," 14ARC on Soil Mechanics and Geo. Engrg., Hong Kong.
- Zhou, J.M. & Lok, T.M.H. (2011) "Effects of Nonlinear Soil Modeling on Seismic Ground Response at Macao," 14ARC on Soil Mechanics and Geo. Engrg., Hong Kong.
- Wang, D. & Lok, T.M.H. (2011) "Study of soil resistance to rigid pile using DEM" Proc., the 2nd International FLAC/DEM Symposium, Melbourne, February, 14-16 .
- Sae Teng, T., and Lok, T.M.H. (2010) "Local Soil Properties and Amplification Effects on Seismic Ground Response in Macao," The 17th Southeast Asian Geotechnical Conference Taipei, Taiwan, May 10~13, 2010.
- Shi, X., and Lok, T.M.H. (2009) "Experimental study of variation of shear wave velocity of Macao marine clay during one dimensional consolidation," 17th International Conference on Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering, Alexandria, Egypt.
- Hao, G., and Lok, T.M.H. (2008) "Study of Shear Wave Velocity of Macao Marine Clay under Anisotropic Stress Condition," The 14th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering October 12-17, 2008, Beijing, China.
- Lok, T.M.H., Leong, H.S., Wong, Y.L., Chan, I.C. and Yan, W.M. (2008) "Load Tests for Jet Grouting at Macau," Keynote lectures, Applications of Innovative Technologies in Geotechnical Works, Proceedings of the 28th Annual Seminar Geotechnical Division, The Hong Kong Institution of Engineers, 2 May 2008, pp.35-42.
- Lok, T.M.H., Sae Teng, T., Hao, G., Shi, X. and Cheong, K. K. (2008) "Wave Velocity of Macao Marine Clay from Field and Laboratory Measurement," the 3rd International Conference on Site Characterization, Taipei, 1-4/4/2008.
- Tou, C.M. and Lok, T.M.H. (2007) "Numerical simulation of foundations on soil with single reinforcement," 13ARC on Soil Mechanics and Geo. Engrg., Kolkata, 10-14/12/2007, pp.1009-1012.
- Lok, T.M.H., and Yu, H.J. (2006) "Laboratory Study on the Mechanical Behavior of Tire Chip-Sand Mixture," Pavement Mechanics and Performance, Geotechnical Special Publication No. 154, GeoShanghai, pp.157-164.
- Lok, T.M.H., and Sam, D.W.N. (2004) "Numerical Modeling of Settlement of Embankment on Soft Marine Clay using Equivalent Permeability," 15th Southeast Asian Geotechnical Conference, Bangkok, Thailand, 22-26/11/2004, pp. 841-846.
- Lok, T.M.H., and Che, W.F. (2004) "Axial Capacity Prediction for Driven Piles using Artificial Neural Network: Model Comparison," Geo-Trans 2004, the Geo-Institute Conference on Geotechnical Engineering for Transportation Projects, Los Angeles, 27/31/7/2004, pp. 697-704.
- Lok, T.M.H., and Ng. C.H. (2003) “Comparative study of constitutive models on predictions of diaphragm wall behavior,” 12ARC on Soil Mechanics and Geo. Engrg., Singapore, 4-8/8/2003
- 2002-2012, council member of The Macau Institution of Engineers
- 2007-2009, 2015-present, council president of Macau Association for Geotechnical Engineering
- 2008-present, Editorial committee, Chinese Journal of Geotechnical Engineering
- 1999-2002, member of Pedagogic Council
- 2000-2002, member of University Library Committee
- 2003-2005, member of Staff-Students Consultative Committee
- 2005-present, mentor of Mentorship Program
- 2013-present, coordinator of CEE internship program
- 2008-2012, substituted member of Consultation committee for land development, Macau SAR government
- 2007-present, vice council president of Association of Taiwan University Alumni in Macau
- 2012-present, vice chairman of Association of Taiwan University Alumni in Macau
- Council president, MAGE (Macau Association for Geotechnical Engineering)
- Member, AEM (Associacao dos Engenheiros de Macau - The Macau Institution of Engineers)
- Member, HKGES (Hong Kong Geotechnical Society)
- Member, SEAGS (Southeast Asian Geotechnical Society)
- Associated member, ASCE (American Society of Civil Engineers)
Faculty of Science and Technology
University of Macau, E11
Avenida da Universidade, Taipa,
Telephone: (853) 8822-4366
Fax: (853) 8822-2426
Personal Homepage: http://www.cis.umac.mo/~fstmhl