Siu Lam TANG
FICE, FHKIE (Civil, Environmental)
General Introduction |
Research Interests |
Selected Publications |
Professor S. L. Tang is a Chartered Civil Engineer and obtained his B.Sc. in Civil Engineering from the University of Hong Kong in 1972, M.Sc. in Construction Engineering from the National University of Singapore in 1977, and Ph.D. from Civil Engineering Department of Loughborough University of the U.K. in 1989. He is a Fellow of the Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (FHKIE) and also a Fellow of the UK's Institution of Civil Engineers (FICE). He had working experience in civil engineering practice in contracting/consulting firms and government departments of Singapore and Hong Kong. He taught in several universities, including those in Hong Kong (mainly the Hong Kong Polytechnic University and City University of Hong Kong), Macau, China, Australia and the USA. Prof. Tang is an engineering economist, and is the first scholar in the world who proposed that NPV (net present value) is an economic indicator and IRR (internal rate of return) a financial indicator in his book Economic Feasibility of Projects (1st edition) published by McGraw-Hill in 1991. He also substantiated the discovery of this fundamental difference between NPV and IRR with a mathematical proof, published in the international journal “Engineering Economist” in 2003. He is currently an Adjunct Professor of University of Macau. Before he joined this University in 2016, he was an Adjunct Professor of City University of Hong Kong from 2011 to 2015. He has written 11 books and well over one hundred journal/conference papers and research/consultancy reports related to his areas of expertise. His h-index is 14 according to Scopus.
- Engineering Economics and Ethics (CEEB459)
- Quantitative Methods for Construction Decision Making (CIEE748)
Construction Management & Economics, Water & Environmental Management
CONSTRUCTION MANAGEMENT & ECONOMICS: Construction contracts, site administration, project management, economic analysis of projects and financial management of contractors, cost benefit analysis, project feasibility studies, operations research techniques (advanced linear programming, mixed-integer programming, goal programming, dynamic programming) in construction applications, optimization of construction processes, quantitative techniques for decision making in construction, analytic hierarchy process, simulation techniques, statistical analysis, construction quality management, construction safety management, construction delay analysis using critical path method, contractual disputes on extension of time.
WATER & ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT: Optimal selection of wastewater treatment alternatives, optimal planning of sludge treatment and disposal, fresh water supply and treatment, seawater supply for toilet flushing, dual water supply and its engineering economy, reuse of reclaimed (treated) wastewater.
- Lau, Andrew W.T., Li, Y.S., Tang, S.L. and Chau, K.W. (2016) TQM Application by Engineering Consultants in Hong Kong. The TQM Journal. 28(4): 561-587.
- Lau, Andrew W.T., Tang, S.L. and Li, Y.S. (2015) The Level of TQM Application by Construction Contractors in Hong Kong. International Journal of Quality and Reliability Management. 32(.8): 830-862.
- Tang, S.L. (2014), Construction Financial Management. 2nd ed. Bookboon, Denmark. (1st edition published in 2013)
- Tang, S.L. and Chen, L.J. (2013) Quality Management from QA to TQM in the Hong Kong Construction Industry. Proceedings of the Thirteenth East Asia-Pacific Conference on Structural Engineering and Construction (EASEC-13). Kokkaido University, Sapporo, Japan, 11-13 September 2013.
- Yue, Derek P.T. and Tang, S.L. (2011) Sustainable Strategies on Water Supply Management in Hong Kong, Water and Environment Journal, Journal of the Chartered Institution of Water and Environmental Management. 25(2): 192-199.
- Tang, S.L., Aoieong, Raymond T. and Tsui, Candy S.L. (2010) Quality Culture Auditing for Construction Contractors. HKIE Transactions. 17(1): 26-35.
- Tang, S.L. and Lau, Andrew W.T. (2009) An Investigation on the Change from QA Culture to TQM Culture for Engineering Consultants in Hong Kong. HKIE Transactions , 16(1): 38-44.
- Poon, S.W., Tang, S.L. and Wong, Francis K.W. (2008) Management and Economics of Construction Safety in Hong Kong. Hong Kong University Press, Hong Kong.
- Tang, S.L., Chan, Stephen S.K., De Saram, D.D. and Lee, H.K. (2007) Costs of Construction Accidents in the Social and Humanity Context: a case study in Hong Kong. HKIE Transactions. 14(2): 35-42.
- Tang, S.L. and Yue, Derek P.T. and Ku, Damien C.C. (2007) Engineering and Costs of Dual Water Supply Systems. IWA Publishing, U.K.
- Tang, S.L., Yue, Derek P.T. and Li, X.Z. (2006) Comparison of Engineering Costs of Raw Freshwater, Reclaimed Water and Seawater for Toilet Flushing in Hong Kong. Water and Environment Journal, Journal of the Chartered Institution of Water and Environmental Management. 20(4): 240-247.
- Ahmed, S.M., Aoieong, Raymond T., Tang, S.L. and Zheng, Daisy X.M. (2005) A Comparison of Quality Management Systems in the Construction Industries of Hong Kong and the USA. International Journal of Quality and Reliability Management. 22(2): 149-161.
- De Saram, D.D. and Tang, S.L. (2005) Pain and Suffering Costs of Persons in Construction Accidents: Hong Kong Experience. Construction Management and Economics. 23(6): 645-658.
- Tang, S.L. and Ahmed, S. M., Aoieong, Raymond T. and Poon, S.W. (2005) Construction Quality Management. Hong Kong University Press, Hong Kong.
- Tang, SL, Ying, K.C, Anson, M. and Lu, M. (2005) RMCSIM: The Simulation Model for A Ready Mixed Concrete Plant Serving Multi-Sites Using Multi-Truckmixers. Construction Management and Economics. 23(1): 15-32.
- Tang, S.L., Ahmad, I., Ahmed, S.M. and Lu, M. (2004) Quantitative Techniques for Decision Making in Construction. Hong Kong University Press, Hong Kong.
- Tang, S.L., Aoieong, Raymond T. and Ahmed, S.M. (2004) The Use of Process Cost Model for Measuring Quality Costs in Construction: Model Testing. Construction Management and Economics. 22(3): 263-275.
- Tang, S.L., Ying, K.C, Chan, W.Y and Chan, Y.L. (2004) Impact of Social Safety Investments on Social Costs of Construction Accidents. Construction Management and Economics. 22(9): 937-946.
- Lu, M., Anson, M., Tang, S.L. and Ying, K.C. (2003), HKCONSIM: A Practical Simulation Solution to Planning Concrete Plant Operations in Hong Kong. ASCE Journal of Construction Engineering and Management. 129(5): 547-554.
- Tang, S.L. (2003) Economic Feasibility of Projects: Managerial and Engineering Practice. 3rd edition. Chinese University Press, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong. (1st edition published by McGraw-Hill in 1991)
- Tang, S.L., Lu, M. and Chan, Y.L. (2003) Achieving Client Satisfaction in Engineering Consulting Firms. ASCE Journal of Management in Engineering. 19(5): 166-172.
- Tang, S.L., Poon, S.W., Ahmed, S.M. and Wong, Francis K.W. (2003) Modern Construction Project Management. 2nd edition. Hong Kong University Press, Hong Kong. (1st edition published by Dragon Vision in 1998)
- Tang, S.L. and Tang, H. John (2003) Variable Financial Indicator IRR and Constant Economic Indicator NPV. The Engineering Economist. 48(1): 69-78.
- Anson, M., Tang, S.L. and Ying, K.C. (2002) Measurement of The Performance of Ready Mixed Concreting Resources as Data for System Simulation. Construction Management & Economics. 20(3): 237-250.
- Aoieong, Raymond T., Tang, S.L. and Ahmed, S.M. (2002) A Process Approach in Measuring Quality Costs of Construction Projects: Model Development. Construction Management & Economics. 20(2): 179-192.
- Ying, K.C., Tang, S.L., Anson, M. and Lu, M. (2001) Monte-Carlo Simulation of Ready Mixed Concrete Plant Operations. Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Construction Project Management. Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, March 2001, p.294-297.
- Ahmed, S.M, Tang, S.L. and Ng, S.F (2000) Quality Assurance of Construction Works and the Pay For Quality Scheme (PFQS), Asia Engineer, Journal of HKIE. January 2000, p.10-11.
- Tang, S.L. (1999) Linear Optimization in Applications. Hong Kong University Press, Hong Kong.
- Tang, S.L. and Kam, C.W. (1999) A Survey of ISO 9001 Implementation in Engineering Consultancies in Hong Kong. International Journal of Quality and Reliability Management. 16(6): 562-574.
- Kam, C.W. and Tang, S.L. (1998) ISO 9000 for Building and Civil Engineering Contractors. HKIE Transactions. 5(2): 6-10.
- Tung, S.L. and Tang, S.L. (1998) A Comparison of Saaty's AHP and Modified AHP for Right and Left Eigenvector Inconsistency. European Journal of Operational Research. 106(1): 123-128.
- Kam, C.W. and Tang, S.L. (1997) Development and Implementation of Quality Assurance in Public Construction Works in Singapore and Hong Kong. International Journal of Quality and Reliability Management. 14(9): 909-928.
- Tang, S.L., Lee, H.K. and Wong, K. (1997) Safety Cost Optimization of Building Projects in Hong Kong. Construction Management & Economics. 15(2): 177-186.
- Tang, S.L., Wong, C.L. and Ellis, K.V. (1997) An Optimization Model for The Selection of Wastewater and Sludge Treatment Alternatives, Water and Environment Journal, Journal of the Chartered Institution of Water and Environmental Management. 11(1): 14-23.
- Lai, K.C., Tang, S.L. and Poon, S.W. (1996) Management Effort and Safety Performance of Construction Projects. Asia Engineer, Journal of HKIE. January 1996, p.26-28.
- Kam, C.W. and Tang, S.L. (1995) ISO-9000: A Comparison of The 1987 and 1994 Editions. Asia Engineer, Journal of HKIE. March 1995, p.10-14.
- Tang, S.L. and Ellis, K.V. (1994) Wastewater Treatment Optimization Model for Developing World, Part II: Model Testing. ASCE Journal of Environmental Engineering. 120(3): 610-624.
- Ellis, K.V. and Tang, S.L. (1991) Wastewater Treatment Optimization Model for Developing World, Part I: Model Development. ASCE Journal of Environmental Engineering. 117(4): 501-518.
Faculty of Science and Technology
University of Macau, E11
Avenida da Universidade, Taipa,
Telephone: (853) 8822-4502 or (852) 9620 8431
Fax: (853) 8822-2426
Email: siulamtang or firstname.lastname@example.org